Every year, there are hundreds of thousands of civil lawsuits and personal injury claims
filed against responsible parties. The vast majority of these claims end without going to court and result in settlements or dropped cases. Because of how common accidents are, it is no surprise that victims wish to receive ample compensation for their damages. Fortunately, there is help available for those who need it. Our team of personal injury attorneys in Lancaster
at the Downtown LA Law Group
will be happy to help you win every penny you need.
Types of Accidents and Injuries
Generally, victims will file claims after accidents
if there were injuries present. Many accidents involve automobiles, but there are also times of slip and fall incidents. Some of the common incidents that result in personal injury claims include:
- Bed bug infestations at hotels and apartment buildings by negligent owners
- Car crashes, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, bicycle crashes, and other types of incidents on the road due to careless driving and inattentive travelers
- Slip and fall accidents at grocery stores, restaurants, sidewalks, libraries, retail outlets, malls, and more
- Pedestrian accidents on busy roads
- Medical malpractice incidents where doctors and nurses make errors in their treatment, which may include wrong administration of medication, wrong diagnoses, mistaken treatments, and other problems
- Dog bites from canines that were not properly controlled or leashed
- Assault and battery incidents where victims were attacked, robbed, or otherwise harmed
- Product liability cases where items and belongings malfunctioned, broke, or had defects that caused harm
These incidents are all different and unique in their own ways, and as such, the types of injuries can vary from case to case. Many individuals suffer damages like:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Permanent scarring
- Internal organ damage
- Neck and spinal cord injury
- Knee and hip damage
- Herniated and slipped discs
- Dislocations and fractures
- Sprains and strains
- Nerve damage
- Muscle damage
- Crushing injuries
- Severed limbs and digits
You should be sure to contact our Lancaster personal injury attorneys if you were hurt in an accident. We will make sure to litigate your claim and secure you the restitution you deserve.
List of Steps to Take after an Accident
An accident can happen in numerous ways, but you should always make sure to do your part afterward to gather evidence and prepare yourself for the next phase. The type of accident may alter certain steps; for example, if you were hurt because a home product malfunctioned, there is no need for you to request a police report like you would in an automobile accident.
You should make sure to do the following:
Go to the doctor for medical treatment as quickly as possible. You may need to go to the emergency room if you were injured in a car accident or you could take yourself to your primary physician to get treatment. At times, victims will forgo getting help, which can greatly impact the ability to receive compensation, as insurance agents can point to this lack of treatment and claim that you were not injured.
Take photos of your physical injuries, the scene of the accident, the damages done to your property, the product in question, and anything else that would act as hard evidence for your claim. It is important that you have both photographs and physical evidence, but there are times when the hard evidence may no longer be available, so photos and videos will need to suffice.
Procure proof of purchase, credit card statements, receipts, and more if you were involved in a product liability or premises liability incident. You should establish that you were a rightful owner or customer.
Interview eyewitnesses and bystanders to get their statements and testimonies on what happened in the incident. You may also have these individuals provide similar experiences in some cases.
Take down the contact information and insurance details of the responsible party, or contact the company if there was no specific individual involved in the incident. It is important that you have the proper details so that you can file a claim against the relevant party.
Reach out to an expert Lancaster personal injury lawyer to handle your claim. You may very well not have the necessary legal experience or negotiation skills required to get the best deal or settlement from the insurance agency, and a lawyer will be able to help you.
You should do what you can to ensure that you have ample evidence for your claim. It may be difficult to gather proof if you were severely hurt or if you were in shock or confused after an accident. If you are in need of any explanations or recommendations, you can talk to our attorneys for more assistance.
How to Prove Negligence
If you intend to file a personal injury lawsuit
, you will have to prove that you were the victim of negligence. The opposing party in an incident must have behaved or acted in a way that put you in harm’s way or risked your injuries. Essentially, you must show these four points:
- You were owed a duty of care
- The duty of care was breached or violated in some manner
- The breach of duty caused an accident or an incident
- The incident led to physical injuries
Many times, accidents do not lead to injuries and only cause small damages. For example, a fender bender in a car accident may only cause some cosmetic damage to your vehicle, which means you would be able to collect compensation for your property damage, but not much else. The presence of physical injuries (and the ensuing medical expenses) is the primary factor in a personal injury lawsuit.
Compensation from a Personal Injury Lawsuit
Accident victims who have filed claims against insurance companies for their damages can earn various amounts of compensation for their expenses. If you have been hurt, you should not simply let your expenses pile up; if you take legal action, you can have numerous bills covered. It is our goal to secure you every bit of compensation you deserve. You can receive compensation such as:
- Medical expenses for hospital fees, medication costs, physical therapy sessions, and more
- Future medical procedures and treatments due to long-lasting conditions, follow-ups, or damages triggered by the accident
- Lost wages from work due to missed hours and inability to complete your job duties
- Future missed income because of medical treatment and recovery time
- Property damage for your vehicle’s repairs and any lost or damaged belongings
- Emotional pain and suffering to cover psychological injuries, mental scarring, anxiety, PTSD, fear, and more
- Punitive damages if the responsible party acted with gross negligence or intended to harm you
- Wrongful death damages, like funeral expenses, loss of consortium, pre-death medical bills and pain and suffering, and more if a family member or loved one died in the accident
Let our Lancaster personal injury lawyers secure you the restitution you need to cover the various expenses that racked up from an accident.
Deadline for an Accident Claim
The statute of limitations exists so that claims will not sit without being filed. If you were wronged years before, there is the chance that the expenses will not even be a factor in your life anymore and any evidence you have will not be relevant. Often, the longer you wait to take legal action, the more difficult it is for you to gather adequate proof of your damages. It is in your best interest to file a claim in a speedy time frame. Fortunately, our team of expert personal injury attorneys in Lancaster
will be able to help you file your claim well on time without risking any missed deadlines.
You only have 2 years from the date of the injury to file a lawsuit for compensation from an accident. This limit is in place for the large majority of personal injury claims
, but there are some differences and nuances, such as in medical malpractice suits. You also may have an exception granted to you if you were underage at the time of the injury, if you were physically or mentally incapacitated after the accident, or if the defendant left the state.
An experienced personal injury lawyer in Lancaster can help you understand how much time you have to file your claim.
The Right Firm for You
The Downtown LA Law Group
has been handling personal injury lawsuits for years. We have decades of combined experience among our attorneys and have recovered millions of dollars for our clients. There is no type of personal injury case that we are unfamiliar with and we will always do our utmost to win you every cent you deserve. We will aggressively pursue your rightful restitution and will go to court if necessary to fight in front of a judge and jury.
Call us at (888) 649-7166
for a free legal consultation with an expert lawyer where you can ask us any questions you want and we will answer accordingly. We will tell you what we believe we can win for you and we will help you understand the legal process. We will also tell you more about our zero fee guarantee, which will prevent you from spending any of your own finances on the lawsuit. We will only get paid if we win, and if we lose, we do not collect any payment whatsoever.
Don’t hesitate to reach out
to our Lancaster personal injury lawyers
today for help starting your claim.