Injuries that happen due to jet ski accidents are not uncommon
. Jet skis are prevalent in areas that have a lot of sun and open waters, so Southern California is a hot spot for the vehicles
. They are used on the ocean and in bays, and they may be privately owned or rented out. Too many individuals are not safety-oriented though, and wind up getting hurt on the jet skis. This is worsened by the fact that some parties refuse to accept liability for the incidents
and would rather deflect responsibility. In these scenarios, you should pursue adequate legal representation from a respectable law firm. Our law group, the Downtown LA Law Group
, can help you file a jet ski accident lawsuit if you were injured
What are examples of jet ski accidents?
Jet skis are small water vehicles that are powered by an engine. They are very fast, quick, and precise. Most jet skis can be ridden by one or two people, but they can be stranded if the jet ski runs out of power – they are at the mercy of the water because they have no sails or ability to paddle. Some of the types of jet ski accidents include:
- Loss of power, which can result in total loss of control of the vehicle and cause crashes into other boats, jet skis, land masses, structures, and more
- Troublesome weather, such as storms and rough waves, which can cause the jet ski to capsize
- Poor visibility or riding at night, which can make other boats and vehicles crash into you
- Lack of proper training and preparation to ride a jet ski, which can result in people speeding, turning too sharply, cutting too close to other vehicles, and not wearing adequate life vests or safety gear
- Defective or poorly maintained jet skis that have engine problems, holes, sharp areas, broken parts, and more
There are a few laws that are meant to curtail jet ski accidents and some precautions that all riders should follow. Namely, those who use jet skis should wear life jackets, not ride at nighttime, and operate the jet ski while sober and not under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
If you have been hurt in a jet ski accident
, call our jet ski injury lawyers today at (888) 649-7166
for more assistance filing a lawsuit.
Who is responsible for jet ski injuries?
There are different parties that can be held accountable for jet ski injuries. If you were on a jet ski and another jet ski operator hit you, you would be able to sue the individual for damages. However, if the jet ski were rented out by a company, you may be able to hold the business accountable. They cannot rent jet skis to individuals who are under 16 without a boating license or who are intoxicated.
You could also hold the jet ski company responsible if the vehicle was poorly manufactured and had a defect. There may have been a design flaw or manufacturing error; the seat may have been broken or the engine could have failed. If the issue and accident can be traced back to the problem with the jet ski, you could sue the manufacturer for damages.
What should I do after a jet ski accident?
You may not have any idea of how to proceed after injuries in a jet ski accident. If you are not careful, you run the risk of collecting no proof of the damages, and thus, you will not receive any compensation from a claim. After you have suffered injuries in a jet ski accident, you should follow these steps:
- Go to the doctor for medical treatment
- Take pictures of the injuries you suffered
- Take photos of the jet ski itself
- If possible, get photos of where the accident occurred, the damage done to any other boats, or the damage done to any structures
- Get testimonies and statements from people who witnessed the incident
- File an incident report with the jet ski rental company or contact the manufacturer to file a complaint
It is also imperative that you reach out to an expert lawyer for more assistance with your claim. You may not have any legal experience whatsoever with lawsuits, especially jet ski accident claims
, and you could have no idea how to proceed. We will do all we can to win your case and we will negotiate a proper deal from the insurance agency.
How much is my jet ski accident lawsuit worth?
Your jet ski accident can be worth a fair amount of money if you have been hurt because of another party’s negligence. We will ensure that you are taken care by the proper attorney and that you do not face any expenses associated with the accident. The value of your case will be determined largely in part by the insurance agent handling it. He will look at how much of an impact the incident had on your life and career, and he will also determine if all the treatment and accommodations you received were worthwhile. If you were partially responsible for the incident, you could also be held somewhat accountable and your case value would decrease.
Our goal will be to bring you the maximum earnings in the following categories:
- Medical expenses from the past and future to cover procedures, surgery, hospitalization, physical rehabilitation, medication, and more
- Property damage for nay personal items that were lost or any belongings that were harmed or needed to be replaced
- Lost income from the past and future if you could not go to work because of your injuries, medical procedures, or other reasons
- Pain and suffering damages if you were afflicted with emotional anxiety, fear, PTSD, psychological trauma, and more after the incident
- Punitive damages, which are handed out when the party acted with gross negligence or an intention to cause harm; these additional monetary compensations are often viewed as excessive or harsh, though, and are hard to win except if pursued by an expert lawyer with experience in jet ski accident claims
- Wrongful death damages, which can include the costs of the funeral and burial, loss of expected inheritance and savings, loss of consortium and relations, pre-death medical bills and pain and suffering, and more
To guarantee that you are given the best value for your case, contact our law firm. We will work with the insurance company to have all of your losses covered.
What is the time limit to sue for a jet ski accident?
In California, you have 2 years from the date of the injury to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you fail to file a lawsuit
within that time period, you will be barred from pursuing additional compensation in the future and you will not have any opportunity to get paid. The statute of limitations is a benefit because it helps prevent evidence from getting lost or going corrupt.
The 2-year limit can be extended in a few ways
, though. Most commonly, those who were underage at the time of the incident can have the statute extended – they will not have to follow it until they turn 18 years old. Individuals who were severely injured and left mentally or physically incapacitated cannot sue either, and they can wait until they recover before they file a claim. Also, the defendant must be present in the state – if he has left for any amount of time, the claim will be postponed and the deadline will be extended to match his return date.
Many lawsuits do not get filed because the victims do not know there is a time limit or they are unaware of how much time they have left on the claim. Our lawyers will make sure that your jet ski lawsuit is submitted to the insurance company on time.
Selecting Our Firm
The Downtown LA Law Group
is the premier law firm for personal injury cases. Our Los Angeles attorneys are highly skilled and have won millions of dollars in restitution for our clients. We know that there are many ways to win cases, but we have focused on the most successful, and our track record proves it. Our aggressive attorneys will fight for your rights, whether it means negotiating endlessly with the insurance agency or going to court to prove your case in front of a judge.
Call our law firm today at (888) 649-7166
if you want to set up a free legal consultation. All consultations we offer are totally confidential as well, so none of your private details will be shared outside of our office. We can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and we will be glad to answer all of your questions and concerns.
If you choose to hire us, we will make sure you pay no out of pocket expenses thanks to our zero fee guarantee. This is a promise that we will not get paid unless and until we win your claim, and the money will come out of the settlement or verdict we win for you. If we lose, we take no payment at all, and you walk away with no debt to our firm.
For a jet ski accident lawyer
in Los Angeles, contact the DTLA Law Group