A personal injury lawsuit
can be filed if you were harmed in an accident of some kind. Many victims do not pursue legal action because they are uncertain if they can win or because they do not know the best way to go about their claims. Many claims are simply lost because victims do not go through with their lawsuits or because they are bullied by insurance agents
and lose hope. Our firm, the Downtown LA Law Group
, promises to work around the clock to secure the compensation you deserve for your case. Our Inglewood personal injury lawyers have recovered millions of dollars for our clients and will prioritize you and your safety and health.
Personal Injury Cases
Injuries and accidents are not uncommon, and each scenario generally fits under a specific umbrella. You can likely take legal action if you were harmed because of the negligent action of another party. The type of lawsuit you can file will vary depending on the situation and circumstances of the incident. Our firm has years of experience in personal injury law
, and we have numerous practice areas, including:
Some accidents happen due to businesses’ oversights, such as when individuals slip and fall in grocery stores or when an electronic product short circuits and causes burns. Other accidents occur because of the negligent action of a specific individual, such as with many car crashes and other vehicle accidents. Intentional harms can also be addressed and compensated in personal injury claims
It is important to understand that a civil lawsuit can only result in monetary damages for your injuries and losses. If the defendant is brought up on charges, then he can be hit with additional punishments, such as community service and jail time. However, because criminal cases have a more severe set of punishments, the burden of proof is much higher.
Further, you can only file a personal injury lawsuit
based on negligence if you were physically harmed in the incident. It is the fourth point of negligence; the first three are that you were owed a duty of care, the duty of care was breached, and the breach led to an accident. If you were not harmed in the accident, you won’t be able to sue for certain damages. You will, however, be eligible to collect compensation for losses related to damaged property or missed time at work. If your car were totaled in an accident but you were not hurt, for instance, you would likely not need an attorney to negotiate any costs, as a mechanic’s estimate and pay stubs would suffice to show your losses.
If you need any help determining what kind of lawsuit you should file and how strong your case is, call our Inglewood personal injury lawyers for more assistance.
What To Do After An Incident
It is crucial that you do all you can after any incident to stay safe and gather evidence for your lawsuit. The more proof you have that you were harmed as a result of another party’s negligence, the more likely it is that your claim will succeed. Here are some steps you can take to preserve your evidence and ensure that you’re in good shape for your lawsuit:
- Get medical treatment before anything else to make sure you are not severely injured
- Take photos of your injuries
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident or wherever the incident occurred
- Record videos of the damage to any personal items you had that were broken or lost
- Keep any relevant receipts, documents, notes, proof of purchases, credit card statements, admittance forms, and more
- Acquire surveillance footage and a police report if available
- Ask eyewitnesses and bystanders for their statements and testimonies as to what happened or what they saw
- File an incident report if applicable
- Accept no form of compensation from the responsible party, his company, or the insurance company
- Reach out to a skilled personal injury attorney in Inglewood to help you with your lawsuit
It is imperative that you get legal help if you have been hurt by a negligent party. If you try to handle a claim by yourself, you may find that the insurance agent will simply reject your case and try to negotiate with you. If you do not have legal experience, this can be a dead end. With the help of our Inglewood personal injury lawyers, you will be fairly represented and wll on your way towards a successful lawsuit.
Deadline to Sue the Responsible Party
In California, you have 2 years from the date of the injury to sue for damages. This two-year limit includes almost all forms of personal injury, from dog bites to car accidents, and must be strictly adhered to. If you miss the deadline, you will be barred from pursuing compensation in the future. It can be confusing to identify the correct statute in some situations, and you may even be too injured to pay attention to the time as it progresses. Let our lawyers help you and we promise to file your claim on time
We will also be able to let you know if you are eligible for any extensions or exceptions to the statute of limitations. The most common exception occurs when a plaintiff was under the age of 18 at the time of the accident, which would pause the statute until he turned 18 years old. You may also have been greatly wounded, mentally or physically, in the accident, which could impact your ability to sue – you would then be able to sue when you return to health.
Also, the defendant must be in the state for you to sue. If he leaves, moves, or goes on vacation, the statute will be suspended until he returns. Similarly, if you are the defendant were to go serve in a war, the statute would also be temporarily put on hold.
You can speak with one of our Inglewood personal injury lawyers for more help. We’ll gladly work with you to understand how much time is left on your claim. We’ll also figure out if your case is different, as some are; medical malpractice cases
, for example, have various deadlines that must be adhered to that are not as simple as the two-year limit.
Personal Injury Lawsuit Restitution
You can be compensated for numerous damages and expenses if you were the victim of an incident of some kind. The responsible party should be held liable and be made to pay off your debts if you were not at fault for the situation. Sometimes, the party was the direct cause and contributor of the accident, while at others, they had a responsibility to caring for you. No matter what, you should be fairly paid, and we will strive to bring you a worthwhile settlement.
Our lawyers will work to win you the following:
- Medical bills and debts to any other specialists, such as x-ray technicians and surgeons
- Future medical procedures if you were hurt and need to constantly undergo treatment, as well as physical therapy sessions and medication
- Property damage for any items you owned that were harmed, lost, broken, or else damaged in the incident
- Missed income at your job because of your injuries
- Future missed income because of recovery time, a job switch, disability, medical treatments, and more
- Pain and suffering damages for anxiety, fear, PTSD, psychological scarring, and more
- Punitive damages, which are handed out in times of gross negligence or when the party intended to cause you harm, but are seldom won because of their excessive and harsh reputation by judges and juries
- Wrongful death expenses if a family member or loved one died in the accident or passed away from injuries due to the incident; the expenses could include coverage for the funeral, compensation for pre-death medical bills and pain and suffering, reimbursement of lost inheritance and benefits, and damages for loss of consortium and relations.
Speak with one of our Inglewood personal injury lawyers
today to get a better idea of what you can earn for your lawsuit. You may be able to receive more than you expected, especially if you have a specific type of case, such as medical malpractice.
The Best Choice for You
The Downtown LA Law Group
is one of the premier law groups around, and our numerous successful cases and raving reviews give credence to our claims. We will not stop aggressively pursuing the restitution you deserve, and we will be proud to litigate your case. You won’t have to worry about anything from start to finish.
Call our firm at (888) 649-7166
today for a free legal consultation with an expert lawyer if you have any questions about your case. We’ll tell you how much we think your case is worth and what we believe we can win for you. We will also give you our zero fee guarantee if you hire us to represent you, which promises that we won’t get paid unless and until we win your case. If we lose, we eat the losses, and you walk away debt-free to our firm.
Don’t wait to get started on your personal injury lawsuit
. Reach out to the Downtown LA Law Group
today for assistance from one of our personal injury lawyers in Inglewood.