Boating accidents are not uncommon in cities that are near the ocean or a lake. The different ways that accidents can happen means that you should always be prepared and cautious when out on a boat. It is important that you know how to swim to prevent drowning
and that you are familiar with operating boats to stay safe. If you have been hurt in a boating accident, you can seek legal action against the responsible party. The Downtown LA Law Group
in Los Angeles can provide you with a skilled boating accident injury lawyer
What are some causes of boating accidents?
can happen in a number of ways. There is the possibility that you could be on a boat owned by a friend or acquaintance and you are hurt while onboard, such as by slipping and falling on wet floors
or getting injured because of a defective with the structure. A sail or rope may detach or swing around and hit you, or different parts of the boat can cause you injuries.
In addition to onboard boating accidents, there are also risks associated with being out on the waterways. Some examples of accidents include:
- Operator error, which can cause the boat to capsize or to crash into another boat, structure, object, or even home if it is close enough to the water
- Jet ski accidents, usually involving ejections, crashes, and being dragged along if you are somehow still anchored to the boat
- Speeding, which can be extremely dangerous in larger boats, as there will be no safe way to stop given the current
- Unlicensed boating, which can involve underage individuals, people who have not taken tests, and more, leading to dangers for all involved
- Drunken boating, which is a common occurrence and can cause impairment and lack of inhibition and motor skills
- Failure to obey maritime rules, such as boating after sunset or going too close to certain dangerous areas
- Lack of life jackets, which save hundreds of individuals who fall off boats and cannot swim or tread water
- Boat defects, such as broken rudders, broken sails, defective jets and nozzles, and more, which can be attributed to the error of the company even more than the operator of the boat
In some situations, there may even be weather issues that can cause boating accidents
. The sea is very unpredictable, and large waves, sudden currents, riptides, tornadoes, and storms can easily capsize boats and cause severe injuries and tragedies to those on board.
Who is responsible for injuries from a boating accident?
In many scenarios, the individual who owns the boat or who is operating it will be held accountable for the injuries suffered to others on board. However, there may be other people at fault. For example, if you were struck by another boat, the driver or owner of that vehicle would be liable
Find out more about how we can help you. (855) 339-8879 with a representative now.
You may have been present on a boat that was used for commercial purposes
. Tour boats, cruise ships, class boats, and more are all generally owned and operated by businesses. Therefore, if there are injuries to any individuals on board, the business can be held liable. The operator and the company must ensure a high level of safety for those on the boat and should not place them in any harm.
– Pool accidents – Injured at a Public Pool?
– Private pool accidents
– Hotel Liability Swimming Pool Accidental Drowning
– Swimming Pool Drowning Lawyer
– Hotel drowning accidents
– Virginia Graeme Baker Pool & Spa Safety Act
– Hotel Liability for Accidents and Injuries
Additionally, some boats are sold with defects or problems. These manufacturing flaws or errors by the company can create accidents. If a company can be blamed for an accident because of such a defect, it can also be held liable and be made to pay for the ensuing damages and losses.
If you are unsure of who can be held accountable for injuries suffered in a boating accident, contact our law firm for more assistance.
How can I sue for injuries in a boating accident?
In order to successfully file a lawsuit for compensation from boating accident injuries, you should make sure that you have substantial proof of negligence. This proof must show that you were owed a duty of care that was violated, and that the breach of duty led to an accident that caused physical harm. Your proof can include the following:
- Pictures of the scene of the incident
- Photos of the boat and the defect
- Pictures of the injuries you suffered
- Videos of the incident, if possible
- Statements and testimonies from other passengers or bystanders
- A receipt showing you were a customer on a commercial boat
- Any report from the police, Coast Guard, or other authority if they went to investigate
You should immediately medical attention as quickly
as possible after a boating accident. You do not want to suffer long term injuries because you waited too long to get treatment. If you do not go to the doctor, the insurance agent can disregard your claim if you try to pursue damages.
Once you have acquired your evidence, you should reach out to a boating accident attorney in Los Angeles who can help you file a lawsuit against the responsible party.
How long do I have to sue for a boating accident?
The statute of limitations to file a lawsuit for damages sustained in a boating accident is 2 years from the date of the injury. All personal injury claims
in California follow this deadline. If you do not sue within that time limit, you won’t be able to collect any compensation for your losses. It is important that you understand how much time you have left on your claim. Your primary goal should be to file the lawsuit ell before the time limit expires so that your evidence is completely preserved and nothing is corrupted.
To speak with a Los Angeles brain injury lawyer, call (855) 339-8879.
There are a few ways in which the statute of limitations can be extended past the 2-year limit. These exceptions are as follows:
- Minors cannot legally sue, so they do not have to adhere to a statute of limitations until they turn 18 years old
- Mentally incapacitated or physically incapacitated individuals cannot sue in good faith or ability, so they can wait until they return to functioning health and body before they follow the time limit
- Defendants who have left the state cannot be sued, so plaintiffs can wait until they return to sue, as the statute of limitations will not count down in the meantime during the absence
Many lawsuits do not get filed because victims do not know how much time is left on their statutes of limitation or that there is even a time limit in the first place. If you are unsure about the time remaining on your claim, you should speak with a boating accident lawyer in Los Angeles. We will ensure that all of your documents are submitted on time and that you do not run the risk of missing any deadlines.
What is the worth of a boating accident lawsuit?
The worth of your boating accident claim will vary greatly depending on the injuries you suffered and how much of an impact they had on your life and career. The insurance agent handling the case will look at how hurt you were and if those injuries made it difficult for you to continue working or to find a new job. He will also look at whether or not you were partially responsible for the incident. If you were seriously injured and the effects were prevalent, the agent may offer a large sum or settlement. However, many insurance agents are reluctant to pay out such settlements, and our lawyers will negotiate a better deal.
We will work to bring your following forms of compensation:
- Medical expenses from the past and future for any surgery, hospitalization, physical rehabilitation, medication, and more
- Lost income from the time you could not go to work, as well as future missed income if medical treatments and recovery time prevent you from returning
- Property damage if your personal belongings were damaged or broken, such as your phone, boat, and other onboard items
- Pain and suffering for emotional trauma, PTSD, anxiety, fear, psychological torment, and more that stemmed from the magnitude of the incident
- Wrongful death damages if a loved one or family member died in the boating accident, which can include funeral and burial expenses, pre-death medical bills and pain and suffering, loss of inheritance and savings loss of consortium and relations, and more.
You should not be expected to pay these debts and bills if you were a victim in a boating accident that occurred because of another party. We will fight to ensure that you are completely debt-free and so your bills are covered. Call (855) 339-8879
to speak with a boating accident lawyer in Los Angeles today.
Let Us Help
To speak with an experienced boating accident attorney
in Los Angeles, call the Downtown LA Law Group
today. We have the best history when it comes to boating accident lawsuits
and we know the law in and out. We have no qualms about taking your case to court and will take very action necessary to bring you the fairest compensation available for your case. Our aggressive lawyers will not give up until we are satisfied with the result of your claim.
We will give you a free legal consultation
if you call us to discuss your claim. We can tell you how much we feel your case is worth what action you should take, and how to move forward with the legal process. We can also answer any questions you have for us. If you want us to handle your claim for you, we will give you our zero fee guarantee
. This states that you won’t have to spend any money at all on the claim, and we will only get paid if we win. If we do not win, you owe us nothing whatsoever.
If you were involved in a boating accident
and need a skilled lawyer, call the Downtown LA Law Group at (855) 339-8879