are common everywhere – drivers may simply not always pay attention or they may have to avoid other drivers or hazards in the road. There could be defects with vehicles that cause drivers to lose control, as well. Although this makes it dangerous for other drivers on the road, it also makes it dangerous for pedestrians
. Pedestrians are largely unprotected, and in high-traffic areas, they could always be near dozens of speeding vehicles. This raises the risk of accidents, especially at crosswalks and locations with a lot of foot traffic. If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident
, it is wise that you reach out to a law firm that can help you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Our team of attorneys at the Downtown LA Law Group
can represent you and ensure that you are treated fairly by the insurance company. We will work around the clock if you are in need of our assistance.
How Do Pedestrian Accidents Happen?
Pedestrian accidents happen for many reasons, some of which are entirely avoidable. Because of the speed differential between people and cars, it is generally up to the driver to constantly be on the lookout for any pedestrians who may be crossing the street or who may be in danger. People cannot accurately gauge the speed of oncoming cars, and they may think that they can beat them out while crossing. They may even think that they are safe if they are in the street and near parked cars or the curb. Unfortunately, this is not the case, and many accidents happen due to the combined negligence of pedestrians and drivers.
Some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents in Pomona include:
- Lack of bright clothing: At nighttime, pedestrians may be very difficult to see, especially if they are not wearing bright clothing. Pedestrians can exit their cars and aim to cross the street only to be hit by a car due to their relative invisibility. Some drivers may simply not see pedestrians if they are dressed in a way that blends them in with the background or surroundings.
- Intoxication: Intoxication or inebriation is one of the leading causes of accidents on the road, and both drivers and pedestrians can be negligent with their intake levels. Drivers, of course, should never operate a vehicle while drunk, as their reflexes and awareness are both drastically reduced. They may also fall asleep at the wheel or not pay attention. Pedestrians, though, may fall in the street, trip, pass out in compromising locations, and make poor choices while walking, which can lead to them being hit by a car or stumbling into traffic.
- Reckless driving: Drivers may speed, ignore the right of way of pedestrians in crosswalks, drive too close to the curb, go too fast in parking lots or structures, text while driving, and much more. It is often due to driver negligence that many pedestrians are struck.
- Defective sidewalks: Pedestrians can easily trip and fall on broken sidewalks, but the results can be devastating if the fall results in landing near passing vehicles or driveways. The liability could very well be placed on the business or homeowner who was responsible for maintaining the sidewalk, or it could be placed on the city.
- Defective crosswalk signals: One of the most problematic issues pedestrians face is defective crosswalk signals. These signals may indicate that it is legal to cross but the opposing traffic can still proceed through the intersection. This can result in pedestrians going their own way while cars travel through without expecting anyone to be in the crosswalk.
No matter what the cause of the accident, you should be prepared to take legal action against the responsible party. As a pedestrian, you likely had next to no responsibility for the incident, and thus, you should receive fair compensation. If you contact our law firm
, we can help you find out who is responsible for the incident and we will work to secure you the settlement you need from the correctly liable party. A Pomona pedestrian accident lawyer will be glad to assist you.
Pedestrian accidents can happen in the following locations in Pomona:
What Are Some Pedestrian Accident Injuries?
are not nearly as protected as those in vehicles, the injuries they can receive are correspondingly huger. In cars, passengers are protected by the vehicle itself, ample materials, airbags, seatbelts, and more. Pedestrians, though, have nothing at all that can reduce impact and mitigate damage. Thus, even accidents occurring at less than 15 mph can cause devastating bodily damage. Some examples include:
Pedestrians are very vulnerable
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Collarbone damage
- Neck and spinal cord injuries
- Herniated discs
- Lacerations and abrasions
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding and hemorrhage
- Sprains and dislocations
- Fractured bones
- Torn muscles
- Permanent nerve damage
- Knee and hip damage
- Severed limbs
. You should always strive to stay as well-protected as you can. If you have been hit by a car and suffered any of these injuries or more, you should contact our firm in Pomona
for more assistance. We will gladly connect you with a pedestrian accident attorney
who can sort your case out for you.
Learn more about your options for compensation by calling (888) 649-7166.
What Are The Rates Of Pedestrian Accidents?
Each year, over 5,000 pedestrians are killed in accidents, while over 65,000 more are wounded or injured. The numbers are more prevalent in areas with many pedestrians. The number is especially alarming when you consider that pedestrian deaths are responsible for 15% of total fatalities from traffic accidents.
This is a number that can be greatly reduced if more attention is paid by drivers and pedestrians alike. In a ten-year period, the percent of pedestrian deaths skyrocketed 27 percent (2007-2016). Even though the rates of fatalities from crashes have diminished due to increased safety features and stricter regulations, pedestrians do not benefit as much from these changes, except in cases where cameras and sensors can stop vehicles from crashing.
As more and more individuals turn to other modes of transportation, such as rideshare vehicles, scooters
, and public means, there is hope that the rates will decrease.
You can talk to one of our attorneys for more assistance if you are one of the individuals who has been hurt in a pedestrian accident in Pomona.
How Can I Sue For A Pedestrian Accident?
If you wish to sue for a pedestrian accident, you must be able to show that a party was negligent in some way. The four points of negligence are as follows:
- You were owed a duty of acre
- The duty of care was breached
- The breach led to an accident
- The accident resulted in physical harm
If these are all met, you can proceed with a claim, but if even one is untrue, you will likely lose out. In the case of a pedestrian accident
, you can point to different parties, depending on the circumstances of the event. For example, if a driver hit you, you could go through his insurance company; drivers must always take care to not harm anyone on the road, whether they are in vehicles or not. You could also take legal action against the city if it can be shown that a malfunctioning crosswalk or sidewalk contributed to your accident.
No matter who you deem negligent, it can be difficult to prove your points without the assistance of a skilled pedestrian accident attorney in Pomona. You may not have ample legal experience or you may be injured to the point that filing a claim will cause stress and impact your recovery. It is thus wise to get counsel for your lawsuit.
What Should I Do After I Get Into A Pedestrian Accident?
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, it’s important that you take these steps to ensure that you’re protected and safe.
- Get to a safe place
- Contact the paramedics
- Take pictures of your injuries
- Photograph the vehicle or defective surrounding
- Take down the personal details and insurance information from the driver or get other information from the business or homeowner
- Ask any eyewitnesses for their statements or testimonies about the accident
- Contact the police so they investigate and so you can get a copy of the police report
- Reach out to a qualified pedestrian accident lawyer in Pomona who can assemble your evidence for you and litigate your claim
One of the benefits to getting legal representation is that you can focus your efforts elsewhere during the claim process. You should not try to handle a lawsuit by yourself if you have no previous experience doing so.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form to get started now.
What Can I Receive From A Pedestrian Accident Lawsuit?
Successfully winning your pedestrian accident claim with the help of an attorney can net you a few different kinds of compensation. You may be able to receive the following:
- Coverage of medical expenses
- Reimbursement of lost wages
- Costs of damaged property
- Damages for pain and suffering
- Punitive damages if the responsible party acted with gross negligence or the intent to cause harm
- Wrongful death damages if a family member or loved one passed away in the incident
You should be aware that only a qualified lawyer will be able to secure you punitive damages, as they are usually looked at as excessive and are seldom handed out. Further, wrongful death damages may be hard to win. It is wise to let a lawyer handle the claim for you.
Call (888) 649-7166> to schedule a free legal consultation.
Why Choose DTLA
If you choose the Downtown LA Law Group
to handle your pedestrian accident lawsuit, you have the best chance of success. We are one of the most highly-rated law firms in the state and our attorneys will work tirelessly to bring you what you need. We will be aggressive with our negotiations, and if we need to win your case in court, we are prepared to do so.
Call us at (888) 649-7166
for a free legal consultation with an expert lawyer. You can ask us anything you wish and we’ll be glad to give you the right answers. We’ll also tell you what we believe your claim is worth and what we believe we can win for you.
Further, you should be aware that our clients all receive our zero fee guarantee, which allows you to go through the legal process without spending any of your own money. We will only get paid if we win your case, and if we lose, we take no fees at all. We believe that you should not have to pay for additional expenses if you pursue legal help.
Contact our firm
to speak with a Pomona pedestrian accident attorney