have recently been introduced to many populated cities as a way to add more transportation methods outside of motor vehicles. Different companies manufacture the scooters; some examples are Bird, Lime, and Spin
. In most cases, the scooters are very cheap – $1 to unlock and around 15 cents per minute to ride
. This can be a very cost-effective method to getting around town if you aren’t traveling more than a few miles. However, because of the relatively rapid influx of scooters, there have been many accidents and not enough protection
. Victims of scooter accidents
should be fairly compensated if there was a violation or if someone else was responsible for the incident. Our San Jose scooter accident lawyers
are more than willing to work on your case for you and ensure that you are fully covered from start to finish.
Laws for Electric Scooters
There are various laws that must be adhered to if you wish to ride electric scooters. These laws are meant to protect all parties and ensure that the roads are safe for everyone involved. The laws are as follows:
- You must be 18 years old to ride
- You must have a driver’s license to ride
- You must always wear a helmet
- Obey all traffic signals and rules of the road
- Do not ride on the sidewalk
- Ride only on bike lanes and designated areas for bikes
- Do not ride with more than one individual on a scooter
- Keep at least one hand present on the scooter at all times
- Do not ride while drinking or inebriated in any way
- Do not park the scooters in the street or in the middle of the sidewalk
If you do not follow these rules and regulations, you could be fined or face harsher punishments. Further, if it is shown that you were negligent, your lawsuit may fall apart.
—What to Do After a Bird/Lime Scooter Accident?
Learn more about your options for compensation by calling (855) 339-8879.
Why Scooter Accidents Happen?
Scooter accidents can occur thanks to the negligent action of different parties. Depending on who was responsible for the incident, there may be ample compensation available. A scooter rider may have caused an accident by:
- Ignoring right of way laws
- Riding into intersections when the light was green
- Turning negligently
- Riding in the middle of the road
- Not riding with any lights on or reflectors at night
- Riding in a blind spot
- Running stop signs
- Running red lights
- Riding while under the influence of alcohol, illicit substances, mind-altering drugs, or medication
- Parking a scooter in a walkway or somewhere jutting into the street
— Long Beach Bird Electric Scooter Injury Attorney
If a scooter rider was negligent in such a way and you were hurt because of the incident, you could take legal action against him. However, if you were riding a scooter and you were hit by a driver who was not paying attention, was texting while driving, or was not careful, you could sue the driver for compensation.
In some cases, the scooter manufacturer could be targeted for a lawsuit. This may happen in the following scenarios:
- Brakes stop working
- Electronics short circuit
- Electric shock
- Handlebars come apart
- Base of scooter disconnects
Because many scooter companies have external technicians who fix the scooters, there is no guarantee of quality. Each scooter has the distinct possibility of having something wrong with it, and nobody would know about the issue until it is reported or until it results in an accident.
In addition to specific parties, there may also be times in which you simply cannot blame an entity in totality, but only by proxy. For example, if there were a lack of signs posted in an area with hidden driveways and someone pulled out and hit you while you were on the scooter, you may be able to sue the city for a lack of indication as well as sue the driver for negligence. Examples include:
- Weather, like rain storms, fog, snow, ice, and more
- Road defects like potholes and cracks
- Falling tree branches and other “acts of god”
You should not let a scooter accident drain you of any savings. The responsible party should be held liable. Reach out to our firm for legal assistance today.
Injuries from a Scooter Accident
A scooter accident can lead to various types of injuries, some of which may be serious depending on the type of incident. A rider could be hit by a car or could strike a pedestrian; a person could trip over a stray scooter, as well. One of the biggest reasons that scooter accidents result in such problematic injuries is due o the lack of safety features on the vehicle. An individual must wear a helmet, but nothing else is mandated. In the event of a crash, he will be thrown from the scooter and may possibly be hit by another vehicle or land hard on the road or against another object. He may be dragged under the vehicle or pinned between the vehicle and a structure.
The injuries that could result range from negligible to devastating; they may include:
- Broken bones
- Torn muscles
- Nerve damage
- ACL, MCL, LCL, and other knee injuries
- Hip damage
- Herniated discs
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck damage
- Internal organ damage
- Crushing injuries
- Puncture wounds
- Closed head damages
- Traumatic brain injuries
In the worst cases, victims of scooter accidents could become paralyzed, slip into comas, or even die from the severity of their wounds. It is important that you immediately seek medical help if you were hurt. You do not want an injury to linger or potentially be missed because you did not go to the doctor.
How to File a Scooter Accident Claim
To file a scooter accident claim, you must be able to prove that you were the victim of negligence. This involves four points:
- There was a duty of care owed to you
- The duty of care was breached
- The breach of duty led to an accident
- The accident led to physical injuries
If you weren’t physically harmed, you won’t be able to pursue a personal injury claim. You also won’t be able to sue for certain damages if nothing actually happened. In order to guarantee that you will have a good chance of success, you must have adequate evidence. You should do the following to ensure that you’re fully prepared for your claim:
- Go to the hospital or call paramedics to be treated
- Hold on to any medical records or receipts, X-rays, bills, doctor’s notes, and more
- Take pictures of your injuries
- Take pictures of the scooter and any involved vehicles
- Take photographs of the environment and scene of the accident
- Search any nearby businesses or traffic lights for potential security footage or surveillance tapes
- Collect statements from eyewitnesses and testimonies from anyone who saw the incident
- Get a copy of the police report if the police showed up to the scene of the accident
- Write down the insurance information of anyone who hit you as well as the contact information of involved parties
- Take a screenshot of the scooter ride and make copies of any proof of payment to the company
All of this evidence will be crucial in your case. We’ll make sure to organize everything together and file the claim against the proper party. It is not wise to file a lawsuit by yourself if you were physically harmed. The insurance agent can claim that you were hurt elsewhere, and you may have trouble proving otherwise. You should always leave the legal process up to an expert San Jose lawyer with experience in scooter accidents.
Find out more about how we can help you. Call (855) 339-8879 to speak with a representative now.
Scooter Accident Restitution
The goal of our law firm is to provide you with the maximum coverage available for your accident
and ensuing damages. We want to make sure you do not have to pay off any expenses and that you do not owe any debts. The responsible entity should be held accountable ad be made to cover these damages. Our attorneys will seek to win you the following forms of compensation
- Medical expenses for surgery, hospitalization, physical therapy, medication, and future treatments
- Lost wages from time you spent away from work, and future lost income for time absent due to medical procedures or recovery
- Property damage if your personal items were lost, broken, or needed to be repaired
- Pain and suffering damages for PTSD, anxiety, fear, emotional trauma, psychological suffering, and more
You may try to pursue a lawsuit by yourself. It is very likely that the insurance agent will simply throw your claim out if you do not have a lawyer representing you. You may not be given any settlement offer at all, or the insurance agent may deliberately wait weeks before making you an offer. He will try to get you to bite on the lowest settlement and be done with your case. If you have an attorney, though, that will not be the case.
Our lawyers will work around the clock to win you every penny.
Deadline To Sue For A Scooter Accident
In the State of California, you only have 2 years from the date of the injury to file a lawsuit
for financial compensation. The statute of limitations prevents you from waiting too long to take legal action. This is to prevent unfair lawsuits from taking place and to ensure a speedy resolution. If you fail to meet the statute of limitations, you will have no opportunity in the future to sue and get compensated.
There are a few exceptions that will make the statute of limitations extend, though. They are:
- Plaintiff’s age (minors cannot sue; statute begins on 18th birthday)
- Plaintiff’s mental or physical state (incapacitated individuals cannot reliably sue; statute is suspended until health returns)
- Defendant’s location (defendants out of state cannot be sued; statute will begin or resume upon the defendant returning)
Don’t let your lawsuit wither away. Make sure that you meet all necessary deadlines with the help of our skilled San Jose scooter accident attorneys.
The Right Firm for Scooter Accident Victims
Our law firm, the Downtown LA Law Group
, has been able to recover millions of dollars for victims of scooter accidents, from riders to pedestrians to drivers. We know the best and most successful methods to securing you compensation and will not stop pursuing your rightful damages.
We will give you a free legal consultation if you contact our firm. We’ll look over your case and tell you what we believe we can win for you and how much of a chance of success we believe there is to win. If you wish to hire us to represent you, we will also make sure you pay no out of pocket expenses thanks to our zero fee guarantee. This prevents you from spending any money on the case; we will cover all the costs and only get paid if we win. The insurance company will cover our legal fees. If we lose, we do not get paid anything whatsoever.
Let our San Jose scooter accident lawyers
at the Downtown LA Law Group
win your case for you. Call us today at (855) 339-8879
to get started.