In the current age of technology, transportation has drastically changed. Before, public transportation and privately owned vehicles were generally the only two methods of getting around. Now, ride sharing services and company-owned vehicles make it easier for all people to get around town, generally at much lower prices. One of the new companies that has begun to populate the market is Revel, a business that provides sit-down scooters or mopeds to various people. The mopeds are able to be ridden for a short period of time and can be picked up in specific zones. Of course, there are many problems with this service, as it is not as straightforward as a bicycle or electric scooter sharing service. Our team of attorneys at the Downtown LA Law Group can ensure that you are fully compensated if you are involved in an accident because of a Revel moped.
Revel Moped Information
Revel mopeds are fairly sizeable vehicles. They weigh around 200 lbs and are black and bright blue in color. They allow users to sit down and operate the vehicle from a comfortable position. Helmets are included with the mopeds.
One of the most interesting and novel aspects about Revel is that they are offering training and lessons to those who wish to use the mopeds. Other services like Bird and Lime do not offer any crash courses for the potential riders. Lessons with certified professionals from Revel can be taken by any of the users, but these lessons are optional. There are fewer than a dozen lessons taken per day, though.
Each moped comes with a helmet that must be worn, and its turn signals beep when activated. The company has a desire to avoid the errors and dangers present with other rideshare vehicle services.
The mopeds cost $5 to ride and require a driver’s license. All user must watch a mandatory tutorial video before riding.
Moped and Electric Vehicle Laws
There are various electric vehicle laws that are used to separate bicycles and others. California has specific regulations that must be adhered to. Some of the laws that are relevant to the Revel mopeds include:
Mopeds do not have a regulated maximum speed and are not restricted in how fast they can travel
- You must be 16 years old at a minimum to ride a moped, which is generally the youngest you can be to get a driver’s license
- It is required to have a driver’s license to ride a moped, whether it is gas-powered or electric-powered
- Mopeds are required to have license plates that identify the vehicles
- All moped users are required to wear helmets while riding
- Mopeds are not legally allowed to travel on bike paths, which are specific paths through parks and other areas that are separated from the street
- Mopeds are legally allowed to ride on bike lanes and on bike routes, which are generally placed in streets and have designated bike symbols painted on the tarmac
- Mopeds are not legally allowed to ride on protected bike lanes, which are separated from main traffic by parked vehicles, barriers, and other things
If users do not adhere to these laws, they can be ticketed or have their licenses revoked. Revel should ensure that its users are aware of where they can ride and what normal safety precautions are.
Causes of Revel Moped Accidents
Because the Revel mopeds are electronic and not gas-powered, they are relatively quiet when compared to other vehicles on the road. This means that pedestrians and motor vehicle drivers alike will not generally hear the mopeds as they approach. Mopeds are also smaller than most motorcycles and are harder to see. The lowered seats and ability for the drivers to drive in bike lanes can be a recipe for disaster.
A list of reasons that moped accidents happen include:
- Road hazards, like potholes, bumps, humps, ditches, and more
- Lack of visibility of moped riders
- Speeding or going too fast in slow zones
- Running red lights and stop signs
- Failing to yield to other vehicles, oncoming traffic, pedestrians, and more
- Inclement weather
- Broken parts or defective mopeds
In addition, the mopeds may be left in places that are not conducive to foot traffic. People can bang into them, crash their cars while trying to park, trip over discarded mopeds, and more. The fact that the mopeds pose dangers for riders, pedestrians, and drivers alike is something that should be addressed and remedied.
Although Revel has a team of workers who are meant to clean helmets, fix helmets, fix mopeds, ensure that everything is working order, and provide lessons to riders, there is still a high potential for accidents.
Injuries from Revel Moped Crashes
Revel mopeds allow riders to travel on the street at fairly fast speeds. There is no protection on a moped other than the helmet you’re wearing and any padded or protective clothing. There are no seatbelts or roll bars or air bags like there are in motor vehicles. If a moped accident happens, you will be ejected from the vehicle. The impact of the fall itself can cause extreme injuries.
Some of the damages we’ve seen from moped accidents include:
- Broken bones
- Closed head injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Internal organ damage
- Neck and spinal cord injuries
- Nerve damage
- Muscle damage
- Herniated discs
These injuries can be extremely severe and may be long-lasting. If you find yourself injured in such a manner, it is important that you seek appropriate medical treatment at once.
Filing a Lawsuit against Revel
You could file a lawsuit against Revel for a scooter accident if you were injured and the company was negligent in some way. For instance, it may have provided you with a broken scooter or the person teaching you how to ride may have simply sent you on your way with no instructions. The scooter could have been defective in some way as well. There are numerous causes of action against Revel, but the key points include:
- You were owed a duty of care by the company
- The company breached that duty of care in some way
- The breach of duty led to an accident of some kind
- The accident resulted in actual physical injuries
If you can prove these points, you can file a personal injury claim against the company. You may be able to file a defective product lawsuit if you can show that there was some kind of malfunction with the scooter, as well. Speak with a lawyer to determine the manner of the claim you intend to file.
Either way, you will need to collect evidence for your lawsuit. This evidence should include the following:
- Photos of your injuries
- Videos of the accident, if available, from dashcam or GoPro footage
- Copies of medical treatment, notes, prescriptions, and receipts
- Eyewitness statements and testimonies from anyone who saw the accident happen
- Additional testimonies from anyone who was also injured from riding or operating a Revel moped
- A copy of the police report if you were in a moped accident with a motor vehicle
- Screenshots of the Revel app showing that you were using the moped
- Copies of your bank statement or credit card statement showing that you paid for the Revel trip
- Pictures of the scene of the accident
- Insurance information, contact details, and other details from the driver you were in an accident with
Once you have gathered this evidence, you should reach out to a lawyer with experience in Revel moped accident claims. We will be able to hire expert witnesses to testify on your behalf, and we will submit the demand letter to the insurance company requesting compensation. You may not have any legal experience, and our firm can ensure that your case is a success.
Earnings from a Revel Moped Lawsuit
In the event that you were in an accident while riding a Revel scooter, you could potentially receive a fair amount of compensation. We will strive to secure you the following:
- Reimbursement of lost income from the past and future if you were unable to return to work
- Payment for medical expenses from the past and future
- Property damage if your personal items were lost or destroyed
Pain and suffering damages for emotional turmoil, PTSD, anxiety, fear, and more
We will also be able to secure you wrongful death damages if a loved one or family member died in the Revel moped accident. These expenses can include funeral and burial fees, pre-death medical bills and pain and suffering, loss of consortium, loss of inheritance, and much more.
The Best Firm in Los Angeles
The Downtown LA Law Group is renowned for being one of the most respected firms in Southern California. We have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for our clients throughout the years, and we know the best methods to win the cases that come to our office. Our lawyers are aggressive and will stop at nothing to win your claim.
For a free legal consultation, don’t hesitate to reach out to our firm today. We will go over the legal process with you and inform you of how much we think your case is worth. If you want to hire us, we’ll give you our zero fee guarantee. This promises that you won’t have to pay any fees for our legal help. We will not get paid unless and until we win, and the money will come out of the settlement given to you by Revel. If we lose, we take no payment at all.
To sue Revel for a moped accident or injuries from a moped crash, get in touch with the Downtown LA Law Group today.