Find out more about how we can help you. CHAT LIVE with a representative now.
The Severity of the DefectAccording to the recall, the defective toasters, when operating at the maximum normal temperature, the defective toasters can leak electric current, posing a shock hazard to consumers. How significant is the risk of electric shock? Many people mistakenly consider electric shock to be something minor. Although most electric shocks are minor enough to represent no real concern, electric shock incidents can cause significant harm. The most common injury associated with electric shock is burns. Burns suffered due to electric shot are generally located at the point of contact with the source of electricity and the ground. Some of the most common places of contact include the heels, the head, and the hands. The severity of the burns suffered can vary in severity. Something to consider is that low voltage electricity (anything less than 500 volts) cannot cause significant harm. However, high voltage electricity (anything greater than 500 volts) can cause significant harm. In general, some of the harm often associated with electrical shock could include the following:
- External and internal burns
- Cardiac arrest
- Spinal injury (especially if the electric shock resulted in a forceful muscular contraction)
- Internal injuries (associated with shortness of breath, abdominal pain, and chest pain)
- Broken bones (usually in the hand or foot as a result of the strength of the electrical shock)
- Muscle, nerve, and tissue damage
- Brain damage
Can You File a Claim?Do you have the right to file a product liability claim against Bodum? In general, you have the right to pursue a product liability claim only if there is a defect within the product’s labeling, manufacturing, or design. What grounds do you have to pursue your claim? All companies have a specific duty of care to their consumers. They must ensure that all their products are safe for their consumers to use prior to making them available for purchase. This means that they must subject all their products to rigorous inspections and tests to identify and address any hazards prior to making them available to the public. When defective products are made available for purchase, companies are breaching their duty of care to their consumers. What does this mean to you? If you suffered harm as a direct result of a defect that should have been addressed prior to making the product available to the public, you will likely have grounds to pursue a product liability claim. If you would like to learn more about your right to file a claim against Bodum (or any other company) for the harm you suffered due to their defective product, do not hesitate to seek legal assistance as soon as possible.
Learn more about your options for compensation by calling (213) 389-3765.
Can You Recover Compensation?Depending on the specific details of your claim, you have the right to file a claim – this means that you could also be compensated. What type of compensation might you be eligible to recover if your defective product claim reaches a successful outcome? The specific type and amount of compensation that claimants could recover depend on case-specific details; therefore, it is generally impossible to make assumptions about the specific compensation available for recovery without a thorough claim evaluation. Some of the compensation available for recovery can generally include the following:
- Medical expenses – awarded for all medical fees associated with the incident
- Lost earnings – awarded for all the lost income associated with the incident
- Pain and suffering – awarded for the mental and emotional distress caused by the incident
- Property damage – awarded for any lost or damaged personal property resulting from the incident
- Loss of consortium – awarded for the loss of the ability to have a normal relationship with the victim
- Funeral and burial costs – awarded for the costs associated with death either directly caused by the incident or complications of any harm caused by the incident
- Punitive damages – awarded to punish the defendant and deter the defendant from making similar mistakes with their products that could lead to similar incidents