On October 3rd, 2019
, Signature Hardware recalled 200 of its Luyten Resin Bath Stools
. The stools were recalled because the legs could bend and break during use due to unstable or unsturdy material
. The stools are flat matte white in color and are measured at 16 inches wide by 11 inches deep by 17 inches high. All of the stools have shapes cut out in the legs
, which may have contributed to the lack of stability (a solid material is not as flimsy as one that is cut into, especially if the cutouts are uneven).
The stools were sold with the SKU number 398753
, which can be found on purchase receipts and emails. There is no serial number listed on the stool.
The items were manufactured overseas in China and were imported by Clawfoot Supply LLC
, which is a subsidiary of Signature Hardware, located in Kentucky. They were sold exclusively online at Signature Hardware’s website between October 2013 and July 2019 for $250.
There has been a single report of the legs fully breaking during use and another report of the legs simply bending but not breaking. There have been no injuries from these incidents, but the risk of the break is too high, and thus, the recall was issued
Signature Hardware recommends that consumers refrain from using the product. The company is attempting to contact users directly to issue a refund for the defective stools.
What kind of accidents can happen from defective bath stools?
Defective bath stools may break because of the poor materials used to construct them and because of the lack of stability caused by the cutouts on the legs. Because these stools are meant to be used in bathtubs and showers, they are inherently dangerous.
For one, the stool can easily slip if the shower is excessively slippery and has materials down to clean it or make it slick. This is a common issue and is essentially unrelated to the stool. However, when you pair that with the fact that the legs can easily break, there is an increased risk of accidents.
Learn more about your options for compensation by calling (888) 649-7166.
These accidents in the shower can lead to serious injuries. A fall from a sitting position can leave you with no way to catch yourself; if you fall backwards in a shower, you may hit your head on the wall or on the floor. Others can land awkwardly or sideways and suffer injuries. You my sustain brain damage, concussions, neck and spinal cord damage, hip injuries, broken bones, strains, sprains, dislocations, and more from the impact.
These injuries are more impactful when the individual is older. Elderly people are generally at higher risk of falls, and if the bath stools break during use, the elderly person could find it difficult to get up and may even be more hurt from the short fall due to the sudden nature of it. There have been numerous cases wherein elderly individuals have passed away due to their injuries from falls in the shower, and it is possible that these items can be partially responsible for the accidents.
If you were hurt in an accident involving a broken Signature Hardware bath stool, you should contact our firm for more assistance.
What should I do to sue Signature Hardware for a bath stool accident?
To file a product liability claim
against Signature Hardware
, you must show that the company put out a flawed product. This can be shown in the following ways:
- Design flaw, which means that there was an issue present when the item was initially planned and not fixed or addressed
- Manufacturing error, which means that the machinery was faulty or the materials used were poor
- Lack of warning signs, which would prevent people from using the product in a harmful manner
The cutouts were a large part of the broken legs on the stool, but the materials were also not the best. Therefore, the claim would point to both a design flaw and manufacturing error present with the bath stools.
We recommend following these steps to ensure that your case is successful:
- Go to the doctor at once after you were injured
- Take photos of your injuries
- Hold on to medical notes and receipts from the hospital
- Do not hesitate to go to the hospital because your injuries may worsen, and because the gap between the injury and treatment can be a red flag to the insurance agent
- Do not tamper with the item, as you may cause additional damage and the presence of it can make the company point out that there is no way to tell who caused what issues
- Do not attempt to fix the item or bring it to a repair shop to be fixed by another party
- Do not return the item or accept the refund for it, as you will both lose your key evidence and you will have a hard time explaining that you need additional compensation when you already accepted some
- Hold on to copies of bank statements or credit card purchases showing that you bought the stool
- Contact a product liability lawyer who can handle your case for you and who will sue Signature Hardware for your injuries
How much can I win if I sue Signature Hardware’s Luyten Resign Bath Stools?
If you were injured because a bath stool broke when you were using it, you are entitled to compensation. The company can reimburse you if the item were faulty. The value of your case will depend largely on the insurance agent’s interpretation of it. If your damages were particularly severe and they restricted your daily life and career, your lawsuit’s worth may be fairly high. On the other hand, if you were not seriously hurt in the incident, your case would not be worth as much. We will work to negotiate a fair deal form the insurance agent and will not stop until we are satisfied with the result.
We will tirelessly strive to bring you the following compensation for your injuries:
- Medical expenses from past bills and future treatments for surgery, hospitalization, physical rehabilitation, medication and prescriptions, and more
- Property damage to replace the cost of the bath stool and to fix any other items that were broken in the incident
- Lost income from the past and future if you were unable to go to work because of your injuries, recovery time, medical treatment, or other reasons related to the incident
- Pain and suffering damages if you were emotionally traumatizing, suffered from PTSD, felt fear and anxiety, and more from the injuries and ensuing consequences
You may also be able to receive wrongful death damages if a loved one or family member passed away because of the accident. It is entirely possible that an elderly family member, for example, was sitting on the bath stool when it collapsed. Many elderly individuals die from falls in the home, and if a death happens because of the stool, you could collect damages to pay for the funeral and burial and the various pre-death medical bills. You could also secure pre-death pain and suffering costs, loss of consortium, loss of expected savings and inheritance, and more.
We will do all we can to win you the maximum compensation available for your case.
How long is the statute of limitations for a product liability lawsuit?
The State of California has a 2-year statute of limitations for personal injury lawsuits. Product liability claims fall under this same umbrella. If you do not file your lawsuit within the time limit, you won’t be able to collect any compensation in the future, so it is important that you recognize how much time you have left and act accordingly. Get all of your evidence together and submit it to an attorney so we can get it out on deadline.
There are a few ways that the statute of limitations can be extended beyond the limit. These ways include:
- Underage victims, whose statutes would not begin until they turn 18 years old
- Mentally or physically incapacitated victims, whose statutes would not begin until they return to functionality or awareness
- Cases in which the defendant has left the state, which would make the statute resume only when he returns
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form or call (888) 649-7166 today.
If you do not know how much time you have left on your claim, you can contact us for more assistance. We will work on your case and have it submitted to the agency well before the deadline expires.
Choose Our Firm for Your Product Liability Lawsuit
The Downtown LA Law Group
is well known for its ability to resolve cases and win claims for our clients. We have a history of success and we are highly rated among our peers. Our aggressive lawyers are some of the best in the field when it comes to product liability lawsuits, and we will always make sure to hold the company responsible if you were injure because of a faulty item.
Contact our firm
to receive a free legal consultation. All consultations are private and confidential, and we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We can discuss you claim, its value, and how the legal process works. We will also give you our zero fee guarantee if you wish for us to represent you. This will allow you to receive no bills from us for our help – we only get paid if we win, and the money will be taken as a portion of the settlement from the company, so the business will essentially pay your legal fees. If we lose, we take nothing at all, and you walk away debt free to our firm.
To sue Signature Hardware for an accident with a faulty bath stool
, reach out
to the Downtown LA Law Group