Consumer Protection Attorney
Our team of consumer protection attorneys in Los Angeles has been handling various types of consumer lawsuits for years. We know the best methods and for success, and we believe all customers and consumers are entitled to fair treatments by companies. If there is any mistreatment, fraud, deception, or other lies to further personal gain, the business should be appropriately punished. You can contact the Downtown LA Law Group if you wish to speak with class action lawyers to determine how to best forward with your case.
What is Consumer Protection?
Consumer protection involves protecting customers, buyers, and customers from unlawful, negligent, or fraudulent actions carried out by companies or businesses. You can be reimbursed if an item does not live up to what the company promised, or if the item is defective and caused you injuries. Some situations in which you could pursue protection include:
- Credit theft
- Identify theft
- Defective products or dangerous items
- Total loss claims
- Wrongful insurance payment
- Wrongful billing
- Lending fraud
- Pharmaceutical fraud
- Repayment of wages
- Labor reimbursement
- Investor fraud
- Antitrust litigation
- Deceptive trade techniques
- False advertising
- Deceitful warranties
- Unfair debt collection methods
- Breach of contract or violation of contract
- Car dealer fraud
- Mortgage fraud
These wrongful actions can either be intentional or incidental. Intentional unfaithful actions can be severely punished, and the company may be fined at various levels. Incidental scenarios may simply be grounds for certain types of claims seeking reimbursement, but the company will be able to carry on with its usual business practices. These practices are generally only able to be changed if a court deems the business must do so.
If you lost money or were injured due to the wrongful actions of a company, you should contact our firm for legal assistance. We will ensure that you are appropriately compensated.
Slip and Fall Accident
Defective Medical Device
What is a Class Action Lawsuit?
Consumer protection lawsuits often involve class action claims because of the plethora of victims. When many victims are affected, such as those in dangerous drug lawsuits, it can be beneficial for all plaintiffs to band together and pursue compensation. The amount of evidence will greatly increase, and it will sway a judge or jury when there are mounds of proof against a company.
It is generally wise to pursue a class action lawsuit if you were one of many people hurt or affected, since the at-fault company could potentially pay millions. Some pharmaceutical companies, for example, have paid settlements worth well over $100,000,000. Fraudulent companies have fully reimbursed individuals for the theft, as well. Victims do not need to actively participate in the case to receive compensation, which is a huge benefit.
Compensation from Class Action Claims
The value of a lawsuit is generally determined by the insurance company representing the defendant. He will consider the extent of the injuries that were suffered, how impactful they were on your life and career, your age, your degree of responsibility in the incident, and more. If there were no injuries, then the agent will look at how much of an impact the fraudulent action or loss of income affected you. Deceptive practices can easily lead to large losses of wages from being unable to work, as well as large chunks of money lost to greedy corporations.
We will seek compensation for the following:
- Credit from false advertising from companies
- Medical expenses from injuries due to defective items, which may include surgery costs, hospitalization, prescription drugs, physical therapy, future treatments, and more
- Lost wages from past and future, such as commissions, tips, benefits, and more
- Wrongful billing to your account or overcharging your bills
- Property damage if anything you own was lost or broken and must be replaced or repaired
- Pain and suffering damages for emotional stress, psychological trauma, fear, anxiety, PTSD, and more
- Reimbursement of credit and repair of your credit score due to theft
- Punitive damages, which are handed out in times of gross negligence or an intention to cause harm; they are monetary payments meant to punish the defendant, but they are very difficult to acquire, so only a skilled lawyer will be able to win them for you
- Wrongful death expenses if a loved one or family member passed away in an incident, which can include pre-death medical bills and pain and suffering, funeral and burial fees, loss of consortium and relations, loss of inheritance and savings, and more
- Class action lawsuits involve multiple plaintiffs presenting their evidence, so the ensuing settlement or verdict is distributed evenly among the plaintiffs. The problem is that some individuals may be unfairly compensated, especially if you need much more than what the allotted portion will grant you. We are available to help you in a class action lawsuit or in a personal claim against a company. Contact our firm to determine the best course of action for your case.
Statute of Limitations for Your Case
California has various laws on the statute of limitations for a lawsuit. The type of claim will generally determine the deadline. Some examples include:
- Personal injury, product liability, defective product: 2 years from the date of the injury
- Breach of a written contract: 4 years from the date that the contract was broken
- Property damage: 3 years from the date the damage occurred from an item
- Patent defects: 4 years from the date the construction was essentially finished
You can contact our firm to accurately determine how much time remains on your case and what you can do to move forward. Many individuals do not know what the statute of limitations is for their particular case – or even that there is a statute of limitations in the first place.
There are scenarios in which the statute of limitations can be temporarily suspended or extended. This can happen if the plaintiff is under 18 years old at the time of the incident, which would extend the statute to his 18th birthday. Some individuals may have been mentally or physically incapable of suing, so the deadline won’t start until they return to health or functionality. Further, the defendant must be present in California – if he is not, the statute will not count down until he returns.
Why Choose Us
Our consumer protection lawyers at the Downtown LA Law Group are among the highest rated attorneys in Los Angeles. We have decades of combined experience in such claims and we know the nuances and depths of the law better than anyone else. We are always willing to go the extra mile on cases and we will not stop pursuing your rightful compensation until we are satisfied with the result. Whether we are pursuing a class action lawsuit or a personal claim, we will always put the client first. If we have to take your case to court, we are willing to defend your rights in front of a jury and judge.
For a free legal consultation, contact our firm immediately. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. All consultations are totally confidential, and none of your private details or personal information will be shared anywhere else. You are encouraged to ask us anything you wish, and we’ll tell you what we believe you can win, as well as what the best option is for you to move ahead with a claim.
Further, you won’t have to pay a single dime out of pocket for our fees. We won’t get paid unless and until we win, and our payment will come from the settlement we win for you from the company. If we lose, you do not have to pay us anything, and we will eat the losses from the case.
To get started on a class action lawsuit or to learn more about consumer protection actions, contact the Downtown LA Law Group.