Victims of negligence should take action against the responsible parties
. If you have bene hurt because someone broke the law or did not complete his due diligence in protecting you, you can sue to receive compensation for the damages stemming from the incident. It is recommended that you hire one of our El Monte personal injury attorneys
at the Downtown LA Law Group
to help you with your case. We will strive to secure you the maximum compensation available under the law, and we will not give up until we are satisfied with the results. Our clients have lauded our representatives and we are consistently one of the most highly-rated firms in the city.
Common Reasons for Personal Injury Lawsuits
If you are hurt by the negligent actions of another party, you can take legal action in the form of a personal injury lawsuit
. Accidents happen every day and many people are injured, but not many take the appropriate action to recoup their losses. Some of these cases are not filed simply because the damages are low; it is almost useless to file a claim if you are only out a few hundred dollars, especially because the time and fees will likely make it not worthwhile. On the other hand, some cases are not followed through on simply because the victims do not know to take any action at all.
A few of the reasons to file personal injury claims include:
- Medical malpractice committed by a doctor, nurse, or healthcare practitioner
- Automobile accidents, including car, truck, motorcycle, and bus crashes
- Pedestrian, bicycle, and scooter crashes
- Product liability claims
- Slip and fall, trip and fall, and premises liability accidents
- Dangerous drugs
- Dog bites and other animal or pet injuries
- Bed bug infestations and other pests or vermin incidents
- Assault and battery, sexual harassment, and sexual assault
At times, individuals will avoid claims because they feel that they do not have evidence or because they do not know how to best proceed. If you reach out to our attorneys, we will take care of the lawsuit for you while you focus on recovering and returning to a normal life and career.
Steps To Take After An Incident
No matter what kind of incident you were involved in, whether a car crash or an assault, you should do all you can to gather necessary evidence to file a lawsuit. It is important that you do not leave the scene of the accident before getting some kind of information, unless you immediately need to be transported to the hospital. Some of the steps you should take after an incident include:
- Acquire medical help immediately to ensure that you are safe and healthy; if you need to go to the hospital, the paramedics can transport you. If you do not go to the doctor or get treated, it can be difficult to prove that you were injured directly as a result of the accident. The insurance agents will point to the gap in treatment and claim that anything could have happened in that time frame.
- Take photos of your injuries to showcase the extent of the damage.
- You should also take pictures of other evidence, such as the scene of the incident, the damage to your belongings, eyewitnesses, and more.
- Keep any receipts, pay statements, credit card bills, proofs of purchase, and more to establish that you made a legal transaction.
- Hold on to medical notes, paramedic notes, doctor’s recommendations and referrals, and more to support the treatment you underwent.
- Collect insurance information or personal details of the responsible party so you can send a claim to the correct insurance agency.
- Ask eyewitnesses and passersby for their testimonies as to what happened in the incident.
- Do not accept anything from the responsible party, whether it is a free voucher, money, or other kinds of compensation. This can be used against you in your lawsuit.
- Finally, you should contact a personal injury attorney in El Monte to make sure that your claim is adequately handled by someone with ample experience. You may not have any legal knowledge under your belt, and you may never have negotiated with an insurance agent. Our lawyers can ensure that your case gets the proper attention and we will work to win you every dime you are owed.
Determining The Value Of Your Claim
Many individuals are curious about the value of their claims, but truthfully, the value cannot be specifically determined prior to any offers. We can make estimates, but the insurance agent will make you an offer based on a few factors.
These factors include:
- Extent and severity of your injuries
- Your age
- Your career choice
- How much of an effect your injuries had on your daily life, current job, and future career capabilities
- Your level of negligence or responsibility in the incident
As each accident is different, so every claim will be different as well. The exact same circumstances may result in two wildly different offers from insurance agents, for instance, if one person contributed to the accident slightly more than the other.
It is recommended that you do not immediately accept any offer from an insurance agent, as he will likely be low-balling you or trying to save as much money as he can and protect the company’s profits. You should speak with an El Monte personal injury attorney
to ensure that you get the best deal possible from the insurance agent.
Compensation from an Accident
Victims of accidents of any kind can recover different amounts and types of compensation for their damages. It is up to our attorneys to secure you the maximum amount available under the law. Many victims are unable to fight for themselves and would likely not be able to negotiate a worthwhile settlement. We will strive to bring you the following:
- Coverage of medical expenses and fees, including surgery costs, hospitalization fees, medication, costs of physical therapy sessions, and more
- Coverage for future medical procedures
- Missed income from your job due to absent days
- Future lost wages because of additional recovery time or lost wages
- Reimbursement of damaged or lost property
- Emotional pain and suffering, such as anxiety, fear, PTSD, and psychological scarring
- Punitive damages to cover gross negligence or intentional harm, but these damages are seldom handed out due to being viewed as excessive and unnecessary, so only a talented lawyer will be able to win them for you
- Wrongful death damages to cover funeral and burial expenses, loss of consortium and relations, loss of expected savings and inheritance, and pre-death medical bills and pain and suffering
In some specific cases, such as bed bug lawsuits, you could have additional damages paid, like extermination and fumigation fees. Each case is different, and our lawyers will see to it that you are adequately covered. Talk with our El Monte personal injury attorneys today for more help.
Time Limit to File a Claim
There is a set time limit to file personal injury claims in California. You only have 2 years to take legal action – if you miss this deadline, you will be unable to receive compensation for your damages. Statutes are in place to ensure that the claims are not left unfiled for some time and will not be difficult to sort out. The longer a claim sits, the more likely it is that evidence will get lost, witnesses will forget details, damages will become irrelevant, and bills will be totally paid. Establishments may even go out of business or defendants may pass away.
There are exceptions to this two-year rule, however. Common examples of these exceptions include the age of the plaintiff (minors have their statutes waived until they turn 18 years old), the physical or mental state of the plaintiff (comatose patients or those who are severely injured can postpone the statute until they return to functioning health or presence of mind), and the location of the defendant (defendants who have relocated or momentarily left the state can cause the statute to be frozen until they return).
If you are unsure of how much time you have left to file a personal injury lawsuit, reach out to our El Monte personal injury attorneys
How We Help You
If you need to speak with qualified El Monte personal injury attorneys, contact our law firm, the Downtown LA Law Group
. We will gladly walk you through the legal process and will help you with your lawsuit. We promise to do all we can to win you the maximum compensation available under the law, and if we need to go to court to win your case for you, we are willing to do so.
Call our firm at (855) 339-8879
to schedule a free legal consultation with one of our attorneys. If you have specific questions, we will answer them, and we will discuss your case with you and what we believe we can win. We will also tell you about our zero fee guarantee, which states that you won’t have to spend a dime of your own money on legal fees. We will cover the costs of the case and will only get paid if we win. If we lose, we take no money at all.
Don’t hesitate to reach out
to the Downtown LA Law Group
to get help from personal injury attorneys in El Monte
if you were injure in an accident.