The modern automobile is not as old as you may think given the fact that many safety requirements were only mandated fewer than 50 years ago. The need for certain mirrors and other safety features was almost an afterthought. Seats fit this mold, as they were designed in a certain manner and then largely forgotten about for some years. Though they needed upgrades and many organizations stated that fixes were necessary, many automobile manufacturers avoided such actions
for a long time. Chevrolet is one such example
; in recent times, its Volt vehicle has had instances where the seat backs have failed in accidents, leading to many injuries of the passengers. If you have been injured in a car accident
because of a seat back failure
the Downtown LA Law Group
today. We can help you understand the value of your claim and what action you should take moving forward.
Seat Back Failures and Car Accidents
Seat backs are meant to keep the individuals in the safe and reduce the momentum that occurs in accidents. They are firm enough to keep the passenger in the car and not be ejected. An issue that is common, though, is seat backs that are weak, loose, detached, or liable to collapse. These types of problems can arise from the manufacturing process all the way through constant wear and tear.
– Seat Back Failures in Vehicles – Understanding the Dangers of Failing Seat Backs
In car accidents, seat back failures
do not only impact the passengers in those seats. A defective seat back could essentially turn the passenger into a projectile. If there is someone seated behind the passenger with the defective seat, he could be seriously injured by the sudden weight of the body or could be trapped beneath a broken or mangled seat back. There have been many cases of injuries stemming from such incidents.
You could suffer the following types of injuries from a defective seat back:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Closed head injuries
- Brain damage
- Neck and spinal cord damages
- Crushing injuries an blunt force trauma
- Internal organ injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Torn muscles
- Nerve damage
If you have been injured due to a defective seat back, contact our law firm at once to take legal action against the manufacturer.
– Defective Product Liability
How to Sue for a Defective Seat Back
If you were injured in a car crash
, you could sue numerous parties for compensation. The driver who hit you can be targeted and his insurance company can pay out some damages, but you could also sue the manufacturer of your vehicle if your seat back was defective. To do this, you must show that the item was either designed with a flaw, manufactured with the defect, or did not have any labels or warnings that disclaimed the risk of injuries.
You should make sure that you have the appropriate amount of evidence for your claim, too. You should go to the hospital for treatment and to get medical notes, interview eyewitnesses at the scene of the accident, take photos of your injuries and the damage to the car, take pictures of the other vehicle and the way in which your seat back broke, get a mechanic’s estimates and statement regarding the seat back, acquire the contact information or insurance details of any relevant party, and keep a copy of the police report.
Once you have all this evidence, or even before, you can contact a seat back failure attorney in Los Angeles. We will see to it that your claim is swiftly filed and that we have your evidence ready to be presented to the insurance agent. You can focus on recovering and returning to a normal life after your injuries
Find out more about how we can help you. Call (888) 649-7166 to speak with a representative now.
Compensation from a Defective Seat Back Accident
Our team of attorneys will do all we can to win you the compensation you deserve. We won’t give up pursuing your rightful settlement until we are satisfied. As a victim of a car accident and the negligent manufacturing of a product, you are entitled to certain coverage from the opposing party. Our attorneys will work to bring you the following:
- Medical bills from the past and future (surgery, anesthesiologist, hospitalization, medication, physical rehabilitation, and more)
- Property damage (or vehicle replacement, lost items, broken personal items, and more)
- Lost income (from the past for days you missed due to injury or no transportation, as well as future missed income because of the time spent recovering or in need of additional medical procedures)
- Pain and suffering (emotional trauma, PTSD, fear, anxiety, psychological anguish
- Wrongful death expenses in the event that a family member or loved one passes away due to the defective seat back (funeral and burial fees, pre-death medical bills and pain and suffering, loss of consortium and relations, loss of expected inheritance and savings, and more)
We will not give up on your case. We believe that all clients who were hurt by defective seat backs should be properly covered for their losses.
Average Value of a Seat Back Failure Lawsuit
There is no surefire way to determine the exact value of a lawsuit. The insurance agent will handle your claim and consider all of its points. He will look at the extent of your injuries, how severe they were, how much of an impact they had on your life and career, your level of responsibility in the incident, the liability of other individuals, and more. He will then make an offer. It will be up to our lawyers to negotiate the fairest deal from the agent.
– Seat Back Failures: Auto Manufacturers Duty of Care to Consumers
We have provided some example cases below for you to consider. These cases show what you may possibly earn from a lawsuit. Each case is different, and even similar injuries and circumstances do not mean that you will earn the exact same winnings. These cases should be viewed as samples and benchmarks of what can potentially be won.
- $8,000,000 Verdict: A family sued an automobile seat manufacturer after a rear end car accident. The set back broke in the midst of the incident, which resulted in the driver being flung backwards; his head hit the family’s 2-year-old infant in the backseat and caused a traumatic brain injury.
- $43,000,000 Verdict: A woman was waiting at a stop light when she was rear-ended by a truck. The truck’s impact caused her to be thrown backwards into the rear seats of her vehicle. Her seat back failed to protect her and stay upright. As a result of the crash, she became quadriplegic and lost all control and sensation of her body below her neck.
- $124,000,000 Verdict: A young 11-year-old boy was in the backseat of the family car with the rest of his family when a car rear-ended them. The car had been speeding and unable to stop. The rear impact caused the boy’s father to shoot backwards, whereupon his seat back failed. His body connected with the boy’s head and caused permanent brain damage and partial paralysis, as well as total blindness in one of his eyes.
- $2,000,000 Settlement: A woman was in the passenger seat with the seat reclined back, but the seat belt did not provide any additional support once the seat back was in an obtuse position. The vehicle was hit and rolled over; she was not protected and was partially ejected from the door. She was left totally paralyzed from the neck down and sued the manufacturer, citing numerous defects, liabilities, and lack of warnings.
To learn more about the potential value of a defective seat back accident lawsuit, contact our attorneys today for more help.
Time Limit to Sue for a Defective Seat BACK Accident
If you were hurt in an accident and the seat back was defective
, you must adhere to the statute of limitations for the claim. You could file a lawsuit at any point within the 2-year limit. If you do not file a lawsuit in those 24 months after the injury is discovered, you will be unable to pursue any restitution at all. We will work to make sure that you do not miss a single deadline and if you need extra time to gather proof, we may be able to bring it to you.
Learn more about your legal options: call (888) 649-7166 to speak with a representative now.
There are a few exceptions to the statute of limitations
. The most common concerns those who were left mentally or physically incapacitated after the incident; they can wait until they return to functionality before they sue. Moreover, underage individuals cannot file claims, so their statutes of limitations would not begin until they are 18 years old. The defendant must also be in the state if you wish to sue him; if he is not, then you will have your statute suspended to match the time that he is absent.
Many claims are missed out on because individuals simply do not know how long they have to sue. The longer you wait to take legal action the more likely it is that your evidence will become corrupted or you will lose key proof. You should act quickly to guarantee that you have the bet evidence in your possession for your claim.
Call Us Today
The Downtown LA Law Group
can provide you with the representation you need to secure the compensation you deserve. Our attorneys have taken on many cases involving defective seat backs in cars like Chevrolet Volts, Toyota Corollas, Honda Accords, and more. We know the best tactics to winning your case and will do everything in our power to bring you ample restitution. Our aggressive attorneys are known for winning cases and our high ratings support that.
Call us at (888) 649-7166
for a free legal consultation. We encourage you to ask us questions and learn more about the legal process, and we will give you all the answers you need. We will also tell you how much we believe your case is worth and what you can do to maximize the value. We will work to show that you deserve every penny possible for the injuries you suffered.
If you want us to represent you, we will give you our zero fee guarantee. This promises that you won’t have to pay a dime for our services. We will only get paid if we win your case and the money will come out of the settlement form the insurance company. If we lose, we take no payments at all, and you can walk off with no debt to us.
a skilled seat back failure lawyer
at the Downtown LA Law Group
for more assistance filing your claim.