Learn more about your options for compensation by calling (213) 389-3765.If you are considering the possibility of filing a claim or just exploring your options, you should contact the experts at Downtown L.A. Law Group. At Downtown L.A. Law Group, our lawyers have many years of experience handling all sorts of claims – always representing the best interests of our clients. Regardless of the specific details of the harm that you or a member of your family suffered, you can be certain that our experts are ready to provide you with the representation that you need to hold all liable parties accountable for their actions.
The Likelihood of Auto AccidentsAuto accidents are unfortunately very common. Throughout the country, approximately 3 million people suffer non-fatal injuries associated with auto accidents every year; many others are killed in auto accidents. It is estimated that as many as 100 people die every day in the U.S. due to auto accidents. Although death is always a possibility, most auto accidents result in injuries ranging in severity.
The Likelihood of Pedestrian AccidentsAccording to the CDC, almost 6,000 pedestrians were killed in pedestrian vs. auto accidents in 2016. This number averages out to one death every 1.5 hours. In 2015, approximately 129,000 pedestrians suffered injuries and were treated in emergency departments for non-fatal injuries. When directly compared to the occupants of passenger vehicles, pedestrians are 1.5 times more likely to be killed due to a car crash. Pedestrians are no match for vehicles; it is very common for pedestrians to be left with critical injuries if they survive the initial impact.
Understanding Liability in Different CircumstancesWho is liable for the harm that you or a member of your family suffered in a pedestrian accident or auto accident? Liability is generally based on negligence – that is, a party owed a duty of care that was breached, resulting in an incident and harm. In some cases, liability is straightforward; however, in cases in which multiple parties are involved, liability can be more difficult to establish. So, who is liable for the harm that you suffered? The answer to this question depends on the circumstances surrounding the accident. Consider the following examples:
- If you suffered a pedestrian accident while walking to the LAXit pick-up lot, LAX could be liable. Besides the fact that the airport could be liable for any injuries caused by hazards on the premises, like sidewalks and walkways, the airport could be liable for the harm suffered to any dangerous conditions, such as uncontrolled intersections, unmarked crossings, and poorly lit areas, for example. If you were hit by a vehicle unaffiliated with the airport, liability could be shared between the driver that struck you and the airport (given that an unsafe condition contributed to the accident). If you were struck by an airport shuttle while you were simply walking to the lot, the airport could be liable.
- If you suffered a pedestrian accident while walking in or waiting at the LAXit pick-up kit, LAX could also be liable. If any unsafe lot conditions contributed to the incident and to the harm that you suffered, the airport could be liable. Again, if you were struck by an airport shuttle while in the pickup lot, the airport could be liable. If you were struck by an Uber, Lyft, or taxi, the respective company could be liable (liability is usually transferred from the driver to the company in these cases). If you were struck by any vehicle because of a dangerous condition within the pickup lot, liability could be shared between the rideshare/taxi company and the airport.
- If you suffered an auto accident while traveling on an airport shuttle bus, the airport could be liable if the accident was caused by the shuttle driver’s negligent or reckless actions. If the auto accident was caused by any other driver, the driver could be liable (or the company for which the driver is driving).
- If you suffered an auto accident while waiting to pick up your passenger or after picking up your passenger, liability will usually fall onto the company that the at-fault driver is driving for. Considering that there are different lanes for different services (Uber, Lyft, Taxis), it is very possible for vehicles with the same company could be involved in an accident. In these cases, liability almost never falls onto the driver, but the companies for which they work.
Your Right to Pursue a ClaimWhenever a party suffers any sort of harm as a result of the negligent or reckless actions of another party or entity, the affected party will likely have grounds to pursue a claim. If you suffered any sort of harm through no fault of your own, another party or entity could have contributed to your incident and the harm hat you suffered. If there was a clear duty of care that was breached in any way, causing an incident, liability could be established. For more information about your right to pursue a claim for the harm that you suffered in an LAXit accident, do not hesitate to seek legal assistance at your earliest convenience. If you file a successful lawsuit, you might even be eligible to recover compensation. For more information about your right to file a claim, do not hesitate to contact our firm immediately.
You Could Be CompensatedDepending on the details of the harm that you suffered, you might have grounds to recover compensation for your damages. The type and amount of compensation that you could receive upon reaching a successful claim outcome will always be based on the harm that you suffered. Did you suffer severe injuries? Have your injuries affected different aspects of your life – including your ability to work? Victims and their families could be compensated for the following:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Property damages
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Punitive damages
Get started today by calling (213) 389-3765.