Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is an anxiety disorder which can result from a myriad of traumatic events ranging from wartime combat to physical abuse, acts of violence, car accidents as well as workplace bullying, harassment and racial-ethnic discrimination. The potential value of a case is based on several significant factors including the severity of the injury, whether other injuries were are involved in the claim against the at-fault party, and the availability of insurance or other forms of assets on the part of the liable party. Every PTSD claim is different comprising of unique sets of factors which can play role in any future settlement predictions. Thus, the value of such cases is difficult to calculate without a thorough case analysis by an experienced personal injury attorney.
Nonetheless, we have provided you with a set of factors which can play a significant role in calculating an estimated value of a case involving the development of post traumatic stress syndrome. If you have further legal questions after reading this article feel free to contact our law firm toll-free at (855)385-2529. All consultations are free of charge.
Factors in Determining the Value of a PTSD Lawsuit
1. Severity and Extent of Injuries Suffered Resulting in PTSD: The most important factor in determining the value of a case is the extent and severity of the injury. All too often victims of PTSD suffer from a multitude of other physical and psychological issues which may require extended medical treatment and rehabilitation care. What’s more, victims of PTSD may require long term therapy, counseling and prescription drug care which may cost tens of thousands of dollars each year.
2. Lost Wages and Loss of Future Income Associated With Inability to Work: In certain instances, injuries including mental stress, trauma, anxiety disorders, or PTSD, are so severe that victims are not able to return to work for weeks, months, or years following a traumatic event. Pay stubs and tax information may be used to determine the dollar amount lost due to inability to work. Vocation experts are hired to calculate the loss of future income in circumstances where individuals are unable to perform the same job in the future due to a disability or long-term psychological impact.
3. Pain and Suffering Compensation: Under common law victims of injury including psychological trauma are entitled recovery for their pain and suffering. In the state of California, juries calculate the recovery amount for pain and suffering based on a per diem process. For example, if the estimated days a person suffers from his or her injuries is 600 days and a jury places a per diem (or per day) value of the pain and suffering at $500 per day then the verdict will be placed at $300,000.
4. Availability for Punitive Damages: Courts award punitive damages where defendants display either a reckless disregard for safety of others or shows an intent to cause harm. Punitive damages are meant to punish at fault parties so that they will refrain from such actions in the future. Punitive damage awards have been limited by the US Supreme court to no more than 10 times the damage awarded by a jury. So for exampl, if a jury in workplace discrimination case awards $100,000 in damages then a plaintiff may be able to receive no more than $1,000,000 in punitive damages.
5. Insurance and Assets of the At Fault Party: The availability of fungible assets and or the level of insurance policy is a key factor in determining the overall value of a emotional/psychological damage lawsuit.
Attorney Consultation: If you or a loved one have experienced symptoms of PTSD following a traumatic event such as an auto accident, workplace incident, or act of violence contact our law offices to schedule a free case evaluation. Our number if toll free (855)385-2529.
With all the fees that you or a loved one has to pay to get treated right and looked after at a […] read more
On Saturday night, on October 14th, an oil rig explosion on Lake Pontchartrain in Louisiana left seven people injured. According to reports […] read more
According to local authorities, a head-on collision in Stanton California left one person dead and another in critical condition on Friday, October […] read more
The Blu Cantina restaurant, an eatery located in Castleberry Hill, which is a suburb of Atlanta, had its roof fall in during […] read more
Former Lakewood High School teacher was hit with nine felony charges on Thursday stemming from allegations that she was engaged in a […] read more
31-year-old Los Angeles County Deputy Giancarlo Scotti has been arrested after being accused of sexually assaulting two female inmates at a Lynwood […] read more
According to a statement by city officials in Hollywood Florida, at least six nursing home residents have died. The deaths may have […] read more
Tree Branch Falls and Injures Three Toddlers: 2-Year-Old Left in Critical Condition At Linda Vista’s Children’s Center, located in the 1200 block […] read more
PPV McGregor v Mayweather Lawsuit Those who purchase pay per view aired events expect to have a clear and enjoyable experience viewing […] read more
Ex-L.A County Sheriff’s Department Psychologist Guilty of Sexual Assaults of Young Child Former Los Angeles County Sheriff Department Psychologist Michael Dane Ward, […] read more
Former Olympic Medalist Accused of Sexual Offense against Underage Student In San Gabriel According to the San Gabriel Police Department, former Olympic […] read more
Chattanooga Man Charged with Attempted First-Degree Murder On Sunday, August 13, 2017, in Chattanooga, Tennessee, a man led police on a high-speed […] read more